JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office seized 10.6 pounds of crystal meth worth $440,000 Thursday, the largest meth seizure ever in Onslow County, officials say.
Jose Angel Garcia-Ortiz of Onslow County was arrested during a traffic stop after deputies said they received tips he was selling methamphetamine.
The crystal meth was found in the car during the traffic stop, according to deputies.
Garcia-Ortiz was taken into custody without incident and charged with:
- Felony trafficking methamphetamine by possession
- Felony trafficking methamphetamine by manufacture
- Felony trafficking methamphetamine by transport
- Manufacturing methamphetamine by repackaging
- Possession with the intent to manufacture/sell/deliver schedule II (methamphetamine)
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
He is being held at the Onslow County Detention Center in lieu of $1,003,000 secured bond.
The investigation began on Oct. 7 and involved the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office Drug Enforcement Unit and the DEA-Wilmington Office.
— WNCT contributed to this report