Suspect in deadly wrong-way I-440 wreck will face deportation, officials say

Carlos Martinez Gonzalez in a court appearance on Tuesday. CBS North Carolina.
Carlos Martinez Gonzalez in a court appearance on Tuesday. CBS North Carolina.

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — The man accused in a fatal wrong-way wreck on Interstate 440 Sunday — already facing up to 17 years in prison if convicted — could face more charges and will face deportation, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Carlos Martinez Gonzalez, 40, of Raleigh, made his first court appearance Tuesday afternoon and learned that he’ll be given a public defender.

Click for more photos from the scene
Click for more photos from the scene

Martinez Gonzales was driving his 2007 Ford SUV east in the westbound lanes of I-440 when he hit a 2013 Hyundai driven by Pareshkumar Shah, police say.

Shah, 59, died after being taken to a hospital.

Martinez Gonzalez is charged with felony death by vehicle, driving while impaired and driving without a license. Court documents how Gonzalez was impaired at the time of the collision and was not a licensed driver.

RELATED: Man impaired at time of fatal wrong-way I-440 crash, police say

Police said Martinez Gonzalez had been drinking before the collision. According to court records, Gonzalez had two previous arrests for DWI, among other charges.

Martinez Gonzalez is being held on $200,000 secured bond.

Federal officials have notified the Wake County Sheriff’s Office that, after the state justice system has finished with the defendant, they would like to take custody of and deport him.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s