WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) – A 22-year-old man led Wilmington police on a short chase before being arrested on drug charges early Saturday morning.
According to Wilmington Police Department officials, an officer on patrol spotted a dark sedan traveling east at a high rate of speed in the 2500 block of Wrightsville Avenue just before 12:30 a.m.
Police began pursuing the suspect with blue lights on but the suspect continued driving and made multiple turns. At one point, the suspect vehicle hit a speed bump at a high rate of speed and became airborne, according to WPD officials.
The driver eventually stopped in a parking spot in the 2500 block of Battery Place near Forest Hills Apartments.
Brandon Denzel Ford was taken into custody and was found with several bindles of heroin in his possession, officials said.
Ford was charged with:
- possession with the intent to manufacture/sell/distribute a Schedule I controlled substance
- manufacturing/selling/delivering a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school
- maintaining a vehicle/dwelling for a controlled substance
- speeding to elude arrest with aggravating factors
- possession of drug paraphernalia
He was booked under a $50,100 secured bond.