RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Two people, including a 15-year-old boy, have been charged in connection with an incident that resulted in Broughton High School being put on lockdown Monday, Raleigh police said.
Mouad Omerani, 20, of Raleigh, and a 15-year-old boy have both been charged in connection with Monday’s fight.
Omerani has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and the 15-year-old has been charged with assault by pointing. The teen is said to have been the victim in this case.
The charges stem from an incident Monday afternoon that occurred in the 800 block of West Peace Street around 7 a.m.
Raleigh police said officers responded to the area after a call reported a fight that included a gun being fired. The fight did not occur on Broughton’s campus.
The teen was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Police said he suffered a significant cut to one of his hands.
A caller reported a bullet had come through a window and said about 30 people were involved in the incident.
“Hurry!” he can be heard saying on the 911 call. “They just shot some guns out here in front of Peace Street Market.”
He also described one person as having a machete.
Wake County Schools said Broughton was put on “community lockdown,” but that there was no immediate threat to students or staff.
Students continued their normal schedules but were not allowed to leave campus until the lockdown was lifted. The lockdown was lifted about 12:30 p.m.
Employees of Peace Street Market said the fight started off their property but ended there.
Police said Monday afternoon that there was no evidence any shots had been fired in the incident.
No further information has been released.