GROVER, N.C. (WBTV) — According to Highway Patrol, three men – two of whom were teenagers – are now dead after a head-on collision Monday night.
The crash happened around 10 p.m. Monday on South Post Road near Cleveland Avenue. Highway Patrol identified the victims as 19-year-old Toby Reinhardt, 18-year-old Jacob Wright and 27-year-old Antonio Brown.
Officials said Reinhardt was driving north on South Post Road when he went off-road, overcorrected, and crossed the center line, hitting another car head-on.
Troopers said Reinhardt, Wright and Brown weren’t wearing their seat belts.
“Seat belts save lives. I can’t sit here and tell you for sure what would have happened, but I think they would have had a greater chance of surviving the collision if everyone had been restrained,” said Sgt. Greg Johnson.
Wright’s and Brown’s families did not want to comment.
Reinhardt’s uncle, Johna, said the family is devastated, and still in disbelief Toby is no longer here.
“It’s like a nightmare,” Reinhardt said.
Reinhardt said Toby will not only be missed by family, but also by the community.
“He has always been good to people, always helping people. He was well-liked,” Reinhardt said.
The two passengers in the other car involved in the crash were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Johnson said they were wearing seat belts.
Reinhardt said he hopes young drivers learn from this crash.
“Wear your seat belt,” he said, “it could be the difference between life and death.”
Troopers are still investigating what caused Reinhardt to go off-road in the first place, but don’t believe speed was a factor.
Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.