Raleigh police want to search cell phones related to man shot through garage door

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Raleigh police have applied for search warrants to find evidence in cell phones belonging to the suspect and victim in an August 7 Raleigh shooting.

CLICK FOR MORE PICTURES OF THE VICTIM, SUSPECT AND THE SHOOTING SCENE
CLICK FOR MORE PICTURES OF THE VICTIM, SUSPECT AND THE SHOOTING SCENE

Police said Chad Copley shot through his garage door window and killed Kouren-Rodney Bernard Thomas on Singleleaf Lane in the early morning hours of August 7.

Copley had called 911 shortly before the shooting and complained of “hoodlums.” Copley told the dispatcher he was going to protect his neighborhood before the shooting.

Related story: Funeral held for young Raleigh man shot through garage door, killed

In a 911 call after the shooting, Copley claimed it was a warning shot. Thomas had been at a nearby house party before the shooting, friends and family said.

Raleigh police want to look at data on cell phones belonging to Copley and Thomas. Copley told police he used his cell phone to call 911 during the incident. Court documents say Copley provided police with the passcode to that cell phone.

An LG cell phone found at the crime scene was determined to be Thomas’ device, documents say.

Police want to look at any phone calls, texts, images or other forms of contact made in the time period surrounding the shooting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s