RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — One person was killed in an apartment fire Wednesday morning in Raleigh, Allen Wilson with the Raleigh Fire Department said.
Raleigh police originally said one person was confirmed to have died in the fire. Police then reported that fire officials could not confirm the death and could only say that a person was transported to WakeMed. Fire officials confirmed the death around 8:30 a.m.
Officials responded to the fire Wednesday just after 5:15 a.m. at an apartment located in the 4800 block of Tapers Drive, which is off New Hope Road. The fire took about 20 minutes to knock down and only one unit was impacted by the fire.
Wilson said a person was pulled from the home and transported to the hospital by Wake County EMS, but they could not be resuscitated.
Authorities have not released the name of the person or said if anyone else was injured or killed in the fire.
Fire officials said the cause of the fire was unattended cooking. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of house fires in America, Raleigh Fire officials told CBS North Carolina.
Thanksgiving Day is the peak day for home cooking fires.