Indiana home explosion ruled suicide

(WISH-TV)
(WISH-TV)

OWEN COUNTY, Ind. (WISH) — A deadly home explosion in Owen County last week was intentionally set by the homeowner and has been ruled a suicide, according to fire investigators.

The blast destroyed a home Nov. 16 on N. County Line Road in Spencer, burning contents valued at $400,000 and killing 84-year-old Don Richards.

The state fire marshal’s office said Richards told others he would blow up his house due to foreclosure.

Richards died from the shockwave blast, according to the Owen County coroner. It was ruled a suicide.

Witnesses told investigators a large number of gas cans were seen in the garage and cardboard had been placed over vents, according to the fire marshal.

Investigators said accelerants were placed around the house and the furnace was missing a gas valve.

“I was home this afternoon and it literally sounded like a bomb had gone off,” Amanda Hottinger, who lives nearby, told 24-Hour News 8 on the day of the explosion. “It shook the whole house, it rattled windows, it was crazy. I thought it was an earthquake at first.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s