Durham officials release report on deadly police shooting

Frank Nathaniel Clark (Provided to CBS North Carolina)

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — A stolen gun was found next to the body of a Durham man who was shot and killed by Durham Police a week ago, according to a report released by the city Tuesday night.

Frank Nathaniel Clark, 34, of Durham was killed around 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 22 during a struggle with Durham police officers in the McDougald Terrace neighborhood, the report said.

Clark was shot following a “sudden movement toward his waistband” after a struggle developed during a conversation with two officers near Building 60 near Wabash and Dayton streets, according to the City of Durham report.

Related: Click here to read the report  (pdf document)

In the report on Tuesday, officials also outlined what happened after the shooting, including the discovery of a stolen loaded Smith & Wesson 9 mm handgun.

The report said that during the struggle, officers heard a shot and Durham Officer M.D. Southerland fell to the ground.

“Master Officer C.S. Barkley fired his duty weapon in response,” the report said.

Related: Family of fatal Durham police shooting victim wants officers fired

Then, Officer C.Q. Goss called for help on his police radio, according to the report.

Two additional officers arrived and began performing CPR on Clark and tried to use an automatic external defibrillator.

Officers performed CPR until Durham County EMS and the Durham Fire Department arrived on scene.

Clark was pronounced dead at the scene.

Tuesday’s report said a gun and a substance were later found next to Clark.

“The gun had been reported stolen in January in Durham. During treatment from EMS, a white rock-like substance wrapped in a plastic bag fell out of Clark’s pants,” the report said.

Barkley joined the Durham Police Department in 1997. Southerland joined the department in 2006 and Goss joined in 2005.

All three officers are on administrative leave with pay, which is standard following an officer-involved shooting.

Southerland, who was not shot, was taken to the hospital by ambulance for treatment of his injured leg.

The SBI is still investigating the shooting.

3 thoughts on “Durham officials release report on deadly police shooting

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s