CLEMMONS, N.C. (WFMY) — More than a dozen people were taken to the hospital Saturday night after showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning at a restaurant.
There were about 30 people at River Ridge Tap House experiencing headaches and nausea with vomiting, according to Forsyth County EMS. Fourteen people were taken to the hospital, and the rest were treated and released on scene, officials said.
Assistant Chief Steve Williams with the Lewisville Fire Department said the gas started leaking in a private dining room where a birthday party with kids was taking place.
According to Chief Williams, a firefighter who happened to be with the party group noticed people in the room were feeling dizzy, nauseated, and experiencing headaches, so he called the fire department.
When fire officials arrived, they confirmed the level of carbon monoxide was six times the normal amount.
Firefighters closed off the room to the rest of the restaurant, and shut down the heating pump where the leak started.
The restaurant manager told us they called their heating technician and the problem was fixed the following day. The manager said the party room is now safe and back open to customers.
Firefighters say the gas is no longer leaking and there is no threat to the restaurant.
Chief Williams says the restaurant didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector, but says that is common for businesses.
Williams said a component of the restaurant’s smoke alarm was beeping, but it had nothing to do with carbon monoxide detection. The fire department is ordering a new part to fix that problem.