DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Police arrested a Durham man on charges of robbery and kidnapping after a Wednesday night vehicle chase, authorities said.
Khalil Alexander Knight, 21, of Durham is facing a variety of charges including robbery and kidnapping, according to police.
Just after 9 p.m., three people told police they’d been standing in a parking lot in the 1200 block of Naples Place when two or three men in ski masks appeared and demanded money. One of the men struck one of the victims several times in the face with a gun, the victims told police.
When police arrived, they saw two men standing near a gold Kia Rio; a third man was behind the wheel. The men outside the car ran off and the driver drove away, police said.
Officers later spotted the Rio on Fidelity Drive and tried to pull it over, police said. The driver refused to stop for 15 minutes, until he finally did so in a parking lot in Northgate Mall, according to police.
Police found the victims’ property in the car.
The driver, Knight, was arrested and charged.
Police say he faces the following charges:
- two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon
- one count of attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon
- three counts of second-degree kidnapping
- three counts of conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon
- one count of possession of stolen property
- one count of possession of marijuana with the intent to manufacture, sell or deliver
- one count of reckless driving to endanger
Knight is being held in the Durham county Jail, police said. His bond is $752,000.