Apex machete attack victim may lose full use of hands, dad says

Pankaj Kumar

APEX, N.C. (WNCN) – The father of the Apex machete attack victim said his daughter may lose the full use of her hands due to her injuries.

Despite what investigators said, Neel Mehta, 19, and the victim were not in a relationship, the man told CBS North Carolina.

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS OF MEHTA AND THE SCENE
CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS OF MEHTA AND THE SCENE

“She never liked him. She never tried to approach him. They were in different grades. There was no common meeting point,” he said.

The father spoke to CBS North Carolina under the condition his name not be used.

Mehta attacked the woman around 3 p.m. Thursday in front of a residence on Venezia Way, Apex police said.

The victim sustained severe injuries during the attack, including lacerations to her face, the neck and hands.

“I hope she will have a normal life even though the doctor told me that in three months she may not be able to use her hands the way she used to,” the father said.

The victim had talked about obtaining a restraining order against Mehta but never went through with it.

“Two weeks ago, she told me, ‘I want to get a restraining order’ because he’s been harassing her and send her threatening emails to her,” the father said. “I know in my heart, she is a forgiving person, a kindhearted person and she didn’t want him to be hurt in any way with his student life. That’s why she kept quiet.”

Mehta admitted to investigators he planned the attack for weeks, according to Wake County Assistant District Attorney Anna Davis.

RELATED: Teen severely injured in Apex machete attack, police say

“He stated she would not return his calls, emails or text messages and upon further investigation, it was determined he had been stalking her for sometime,” Davis said.

Mehta is being held under $2 million bond.

Should he post bond, a judge ordered him to be placed under house arrest where he would wear an ankle bracelet. He would also be barred from having contact with the victim or her family.

Many victims of domestic violence don’t have a restraining order.

In 2013, there were 108 domestic-violence related homicide victims in the state, but only five of them had taken out protective orders and only three of the five were current, the state Department of Justice found.

“We ask one type of question in these types of cases, and that is, ‘Do you fear for your safety?’ and if the answer to that is yes, you need to strongly consider getting a restraining order,” said Capt. Blair Myhand of the Apex police.

The subject of the order can’t contact the person who takes it out for a set period of time. And that makes it a valuable tool for law enforcement, Myhand said.

“It gives law enforcement the ability to make an on-the-spot arrest of an individual who violates that restraining order,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s