Cigarette sparks fire that heavily damages Raleigh home

The home damaged by the fire on Monday afternoon. Photo by Tommy Harris/CBS North Carolina

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A fire at a home in Raleigh Monday afternoon displaced a family, officials said.

The fire was reported around 4:50 p.m. at a home in the 5800 block of Ricker Road near Dolle Court.

Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control, but the home sustained serious damage.

Raleigh fire officials said the fire was caused when someone didn’t put out a cigarette properly.

The cigarette caught a couch that was on the outside of the house on fire and that spread to the home, officials said.

A fire official said that the home was not safe for occupancy after the fire.

An adult and three teens who live in the home are receiving assistance from the Red Cross.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s