County club in NC mountains destroyed by explosion, fire

SAPPHIRE, N.C. (WSPA) – The Sapphire Valley Country Club was destroyed by an explosion and fire early Tuesday.

CLICK FOR LARGER PHOTOS

Blue Ridge Public Safety, a security guard service, said the fire at the clubhouse started around 11 p.m. Monday.

They say an officer arrived just before the explosion.

He was getting out of his vehicle and was pushed back inside the vehicle by the explosion that was reportedly felt by people as far as 10 miles away.

Two firefighters were knocked to the ground by the force of the blast, according to The Sylva Herald.

Blue Ridge Public Safety said the fire was caused by propane tank explosion.

Firefighters from the local community, as well as Macon County and South Carolina helped battle the blaze.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

A boil water advisory has been issued for the area, according to the fire department.

There were no reported injuries.

Country club officials said on Facebook Tuesday that they plan to rebuild.

— WNCN contributed to this report

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s