Myrtle Beach enacts midnight curfew for kids 17 and under

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) – Myrtle Beach City Council changed the juvenile curfew on Tuesday in order to help prevent crime in the city.

Anyone 17 years old or younger is no longer allowed to be out alone after midnight. A parent or guardian must accompany them if they are going to be out in the city between 12am and 6am Previously, the curfew hours were from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

City leaders started discussing moving the curfew up an hour earlier immediately after video of a shooting on Ocean Boulevard went viral last month. That shooting was one of several that weekend.

RELATED: Myrtle Beach shooting caught on video tied to NC gang activity, police say

Even though the curfew has only changed by one hour, Myrtle Beach Mayor John Rhodes said he’s confident that change, along with about 200 new city street lights, will have an impact on public safety.

“We’ve noticed that the crimes that we’ve had, that have been through young people, have all been after midnight. We feel that taking it back to midnight will help us move in the right direction in solving this problem,” said Rhodes.

Rhodes also said Myrtle Beach Police will arrest any minor caught without a guardian between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s