Officials: Convicted murderer turns self in after shooting at Cumberland County deputy

CLINTON, N.C. (WNCN) — The subject of a manhunt in Sampson County that began after a Cumberland County deputy was shot at while doing yard work Thursday was in custody late Friday, Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office said.


Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office officials had said that based on phone conversations investigators have had that they expect David Scott Bain, 34, of Roseboro, to turn himself in Friday and had been waiting all day for that to happen. Late Friday they announced he had.

RELATED: Manhunt underway for suspect who shot at Cumberland County deputy

The manhunt began Thursday evening after authorities say Bain shot at a deputy who was mowing his lawn outside his home and then fled the scene.

According to the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office, a white SUV being driven by Bain pulled up outside the deputy’s home and Bain then pointed a long-barreled gun out of the window and fired in the deputy’s direction.


The deputy then got in his unmarked vehicle and began to follow the SUV until they came to a parking lot of a gym in Stedman, authorities said. The deputy attempted to stop the vehicle, but Bain refused to stop and sped off onto North Carolina Highway 24 and headed east. Authorities said that Bain’s SUV exceeded the speed limit and was traveling recklessly on the road before it came to a stop at 197 Horseshoe Road in Sampson County.

Bain and his passenger, who has been identifed as James Gibbons, 29, jumped out of the vehicle and fled the scene, according to the sheriff’s office.

Gibbons, who lives on Horseshoe Road, later returned to the vehicle and surrendered to deputies.

Authorities at the scene conducted a search of the SUV and found a .22 Taurus handgun in the vehicle, but no long gun.

James Gibbons (Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office)

A search for Bain, a resident of Sampson County, was initiated in the area by sheriff’s deputies from Cumberland and Sampson counties, along with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.

Troopers and deputies were at the scene along Horseshoe Road until midnight searching for Bain.

A State Highway Patrol helicopter was in the air Thursday night to assist in the search, and at least one K-9 was also being used, but Bain was not found.

Gibbons, a convicted felon, was taken into custody and charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, assault with a deadly weapon, and conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon.

Gibbons was taken to the Cumberland County Detention Center and is being held on a $25,000 secured bond. That bond was later increased to $2 million.

Even as officials said Bain was expected to turn himself in, they cautioned that he was still to be considered at large and armed and dangerous.

Bain had been recently released from prison on a first-degree murder conviction, the sheriff’s office said.

Just before midnight Friday, deputies announced Bain’s bond on charges including assault with a deadly weapon, possession of a firearm by a felon and felony speeding to elude was set at $2.5 million.

6 thoughts on “Officials: Convicted murderer turns self in after shooting at Cumberland County deputy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s