1 injured in Chapel Hill house fire that started in kitchen, officials say

The scene at the home on Sunday afternoon. Photo by Kelly Kennedy/CBS North Carolina

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) — One person was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a home in Chapel Hill on Sunday afternoon, officials said.

The fire was reported around 4:40 p.m. at 304 Burlage Circle, Chapel Hill fire officials said.

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

Smoke was showing from the roof when crews arrived, according to officials.

“Crews are working hard to control it at this time,” Chapel Hill fire officials said via Twitter at 4:52 p.m.

Chapel Hill fire officials later said the fire was a cooking accident that spread up a wall and into the attic of the home.

There was damage to the kitchen and ceiling, officials said.

A family was at home when the fire broke out and they escaped safely, authorities said.  However, one person was taken to a nearby hospital and was treated for smoke inhalation.

About 20 firefighters were at the scene. By 5:15 p.m. officials said the fire was “knocked down” and that firefighters were checking to make sure it did not spread further.

The house fire is the fourth fire Chapel Hill crews were dispatched to on Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s