Police release last text from teen girl electrocuted using cell phone in bathtub

Madison Coe, 14, and the last text message she sent. (Coe Family and KLBK)

LUBBOCK, Texas (KLBK/CBS NEWS) — The family of Madison Coe, 14, has authorized the release of her last image sent via text message before she died while staying with her dad in Lovington, New Mexico.

She was electrocuted in the early morning of July 9 while in a bathtub and using a phone that was plugged into a charger.

Coe had been a student in the Frenship School District. There were plans for her to attend high school in Houston.

Her last text to a friend included a picture of the phone charger plugged into an extension cord.

EARLIER: Texas teen girl electrocuted after apparent cellphone mishap in bathtub

“There was a burn mark on her hand,” Coe’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, said shortly after her death. “The hand that would have grabbed the phone. That was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

The eighth-grader had just graduated from Terra Vista middle School and had plans to attend high school in Houston. Coe was a basketball player and number one chair with her tuba in the band at school. Her family was in the process of moving.

The statement from Lovington police said:

The Lovington Police Department has completed the investigation of the accidental electrocution of a 14-year-old female which occurred in the city of Lovington on Sunday, July 9, 2017.

As previously disclosed, the Office of the Medical Investigator has issued a preliminary cause and manner of death as an accidental electrocution. Additional investigation was conducted by the Criminal Investigations Division of the Lovington Police Department and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The child had been using her Samsung S6 Edge cellular telephone while taking a bath. Evidence shows she had plugged this cellular telephone into a phone charger cord, which was plugged into an extension cord which was plugged into a non-GFCI, non-grounded bathroom wall outlet.

Specific evidence shows that the cellular telephone was never immersed in the water. While the child took precautions to keep the connection of the cords dry, it is believed she was not aware of a significant area of fraying to the extension cord. Forensic evidence indicated that she came in contact with this area of the frayed extension cord while she was still in the bathtub which contained water at the time, resulting in her electrocution.

Besides the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission assisting in this investigation, Underwriter’s Laboratories in Chicago, Illinois was also consulted. The investigation was reviewed by the New Mexico Fifth Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s