Smoking causes Durham fire that injures 1, heavily damages home

Crews fighting the fire in Durham on Tuesday. Photo by Durham Fire Captain Richard Ray.

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Someone smoking sparked a fire that injured one person and heavily damaged a Durham home on Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

Photo by Durham Fire Captain Richard Ray. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

The incident happened around 12:15 p.m. at a home at 115 South Guthrie Avenue, according to Durham fire officials.

When fire crews arrived, there was smoke coming from the front door and heavy flames at the left rear corner of the house.

Fire crews managed to put out the blaze in about 15 minutes, “but it caused extensive damage to the home,” said Durham Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi in a news release.

One person was treated at the scene for suspected smoke inhalation and then rushed by EMS to Duke University Hospital.

Eight people were displaced by the fire and are being helped by the American Red Cross.

Iannuzzi said the fire’s cause was “related to smoking and has been determined to be accidental.”

news-app-download-apple-350x50news-app-download-android-350x50

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s