WASHINGTON, N.C. (WNCT) — A Washington man is now a million dollars richer thanks to a lucky scratch-off ticket.
Jay Elkin, an overseas consultant on e-cigarettes, was home alone when he scratched a $200 Million Blowout ticket and found out he had won one of the game’s $1 million prizes.
“Disbelief,’ said Elkin when asked about his feelings at that time. “Just absolute disbelief.”
Elkin said he sent a photo of the ticket to a friend in Hong Kong, asking “Is this real?” His friend replied with a smiling emoji.
As Elkin claimed his prize Wednesday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh, he had a choice of taking a $1 million annuity that has 20 payments of $50,000 a year or a lump sum of $600,000.
Elkin chose the lump sum and after required state and federal tax withholdings, he took home $417,012.
“When I get the money in my hand and get home I’m going into the backyard and go, ‘Whoop! Whoop!,’ said Elkin.
Elkin purchased his lucky ticket at Cratches Mini Mart on N.C. 264 West in Washington.
So far players have claimed three of the game’s four $4 million top prizes and fourteen of the sixteen $1 million prizes.
Elkin said the $1 million prize he won on Tuesday means he can pay off his home equity loan and catch up on bills.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- WOMAN REVIVED AFTER BEING RESCUED FROM NC FIRE, OFFICIALS SAY
- ‘SERIAL CHILD MOLESTER’ ACCUSED OF SEXUALLY ASSAULTING KIDS IN NC, 3 OTHER STATES
- WOMAN DIES IN NC 3-CAR CRASH THAT LEFT SUVS TOPPLED ON LIGHT-RAIL LINE
- WOMAN SAYS ‘OFFICER’ PULLED HER OVER, MADE RACIAL REMARKS
- 22-YEAR-OLD WOMAN FOUND DEAD IN WOODS WAS MAULED TO DEATH BY OWN DOGS, SHERIFF SAYS
- GET YOUR MORTGAGE OR RENT PAID IN 2018