OAK ISLAND, N.C. (WECT) — The driver of a truck that fell off the Barbee Bridge in Oak Island in a three-vehicle crash Saturday died from his injuries.
Oak Island Police and Fire Departments responded to the scene just after noon on Saturday.
When they arrived they found that a dump truck had gone over the side of the bridge and landed upside down in the marsh.
According to a press release from officials, a passenger van traveling north on the bridge had crossed into the southbound lane causing a chain reaction with the dump truck and a cargo van.
The driver of the passenger van was treated and released at the scene for minor injuries.
The driver of the cargo van was taken to the hospital. Their condition is unknown at this time.
The driver of the dump truck, Mitchell Wayne Griffith Jr., 44, died at the scene.
The G.V. Barbee Bridge was closed for about 12 hours Saturday while NCDOT inspected and made temporary repairs to the bridge.
The Oak Island Police Department and the NC State Highway Patrol are continuing to investigate the wreck.
During the time of this incident, a head-on collision happened in Oak Island near the intersection of E.F. Middleton Boulevard and Midway Road. The Oak Island Police Department and the NC State Highway Patrol have assumed investigation of that crash.
Copyright 2017 WECT. All rights reserved.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- PILOT STILL LISTED AS CRITICAL AFTER PLANE CRASH IN FRANKLIN COUNTY NEAR LOUISBURG
- 2 NC MEN DROWN AFTER CAR GOES INTO POND
- MAN WOUNDED IN RALEIGH SHOOTING NEAR WAKE FOREST ROAD AND I-440
- NC MAN WINS $1 MILLION WITH LUCKY SCRATCH-OFF TICKET
- 22-YEAR-OLD WOMAN WAS MAULED TO DEATH BY OWN DOGS, SHERIFF SAYS
- GET YOUR MORTGAGE OR RENT PAID IN 2018