CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – Can we talk sister-to-sister?
Have any of your friends on Facebook posted a message about a Secret Sister Gift Exchange which tells you to send a gift in the mail and invite friends to do the same? It’s similar to a “Secret Santa” kind of thing.
Well, hate to break it to you but this is a scam and here’s why.
The message usually says when you send one gift in the mail, expect to get at least 6 gifts, even up to 36 gifts, back to you in return. The U.S. Postal Service says this type of gift chain is illegal because it falls into the “chain letter” category.
It promises that all participants will be winners by receiving a gift and USPS says that’s mathematically impossible. In fact, the Better Business Bureau says some people have reported they haven’t received a gift as promised. This was a scam that was around last year and the BBB says it’s back with a vengeance, so don’t believe the hype!
There is a similar gift exchange going around call the Wine Exchange. It’s the same concept, but you’re exchanging wine. The BBB says to stay away from that one as well.
Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- WORKER FIRED FOR RACY JOKE WRITTEN INSIDE PIZZA BOX
- RALEIGH CAB DRIVER GETS ATTENTION WITH 11,000 CHRISTMAS LIGHTS ON HIS TAXI
- MAN WOUNDED IN RALEIGH SHOOTING NEAR WAKE FOREST ROAD AND I-440
- NC MAN WINS $1 MILLION WITH LUCKY SCRATCH-OFF TICKET
- MOM SPEAKS OUT AFTER SON IS KILLED BY DOGS HE PLAYED WITH AND FED DAILY
- GET YOUR MORTGAGE OR RENT PAID IN 2018