BRIERFIELD, Ala. (WIAT) — A 4-year-old boy has died Thursday afternoon after he got hold of a gun at family’s home and accidentally shot himself in the face, Bibb County District Attorney Michael Jackson tells CBS 42.
Jackson tells WIAT the family lived in a rural area, in the 500 block of Cahaba Hill Road, and drove to a store to call emergency services. The child passed away at 6 Mile Supply grocery store.
Sheriff Jody Wade says the family thought the store was the quickest way they could get to people to get help. Wade believes the family moved into the home recently, and didn’t have the ability to access communications from there.
Wade tells WIAT the family said they had the gun stored in what they thought was a safe place. Family members were home at the time of the shooting; they heard the gun go off and found the child injured.
The Sheriff’s Office is investigating.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Brawl trashes Fayetteville Waffle House
- Woman accused of causing $300K in damage to artwork in lawyer’s home
- ‘I screwed up,’ says man charged after deadly shooting during hunt for stolen boat
- Man sees crash that killed wife, 2 daughters, family friend
- More cold temperatures in store for central NC