PIKEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — An elderly Wayne County man was found dead in a burned home on Saturday, officials said.
The fire at a two-story home was reported just before 12:15 p.m. at 120 Weathervane Road in Pikeville, according to the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.
Landis Jones, 79, was found dead inside the home by crews who were fighting the fire, deputies said.
Jones, who lived at the house, was the only person inside the home when the fire broke out. He was found on the first floor in a bathroom, Wayne County Major Richard Lewis said in a news release.
Officials determined the fire to be accidental.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- NC woman offers sex at cemetery in Christmas Eve robbery ruse, police say
- NC woman started college at 12, now has Ph.D at 23
- Woman finds stranger masturbating in infant daughter’s nursery, deputies say
- 20-year-old woman dies in Clinton house fire, officials say
- Raleigh dog-sitter robbed client over Christmas vacation, police say