WENDELL, N.C. (WNCN) — A young woman is dead following a Monday morning crash in Wendell, the Wake County Sheriff’s Office confirms.
Authorities responded to a report of a crash on Robertson Pond Road near Edgemont Road around 8:30 a.m.
Responding crews found a car overturned in a creek.
According to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol, the car driven by Maria Prieto, 23, ran off the road, hit a tree and then flipped over into the creek.
Troopers said Prieto was trapped inside the car and died. Authorities suspect she drowned, but the cause of death won’t be definitively known until a medical examiner conducts and autopsy.
Although the area where the crash occurred was still partially covered in snow, troopers said the crash was not weather-related and the only factor was high speed.
Prieto was the only occupant in the vehicle.
A GoFundMe has been started to help pay for Prieto’s funeral.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- TOP TRUMP ADVISOR STEPHEN MILLER ‘ESCORTED’ OFF SET, CNN SAYS
- TEXAS SPORTS REPORTER GOES MISSING AFTER BEING FOLLOWED BY ‘SUSPICIOUS MAN’
- DOWNTOWN RALEIGH RESTAURANT OPENING TODAY WILL ALLOW DINERS TO PAY WHAT THEY CAN
- BOIL WATER ADVISORY CONTINUES FOR MUCH OF FAYETTEVILLE, PART OF CUMBERLAND CO.
- BODY FOUND BY KIDS IN RALEIGH WOODS WAS THERE FOR QUITE SOME TIME, POLICE SAY