RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Deputies have charged a defense attorney with stealing cash from a wallet at the Wake County Courthouse, the Wake County Sheriff’s Office confirms.
Someone dropped the wallet near the security checkpoint at the courthouse, authorities said. According to an arrest warrant, it contained $1,600 in cash. But officials say that when the lawyer, who was caught on video picking up the wallet, turned it in, it contained no cash.
Steven Patrick MacGilvray, 29, of 820 Hansworth Lane in Raleigh, has been charged with felony larceny.
The Coolidge Law Firm in Raleigh listed MacGilvray as an associate on its website, but as of Tuesday evening, he was no longer mentioned.
MacGilvray turned himself in Tuesday morning, according to officials.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- TEEN BOY CHARGED AFTER STABBING MAN IN HEAD DURING ATTACK, KNIGHTDALE POLICE SAY
- VIDEO: MAN FOUND GUILTY OF MURDERING 2 DEPUTIES LAUGHS, CHEERS DURING VERDICT
- 3 FACE PROSTITUTION CHARGES AFTER RAID AT HOKE COUNTY SPA, DEPUTIES SAY
- DURHAM MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY VAN, KILLED ON NC-55 NEAR I-40
- FORT BRAGG SOLDIER WENT AWOL WEEKS BEFORE FAMILY VANISHED, OFFICIALS SAY