KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (AP/WNCN) – Police in Cabarrus County have charged a man in the death of a 17-day-old girl.
Multiple media outlets report the Kannapolis Police Department has charged 39-year-old Maurice Lavon Daniels with first-degree murder, child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and an order for arrest.
Kannapolis police said they received a Department of Social Services referral regarding a possible assault on a 17-day old girl, who died Monday. An autopsy is planned to determine the child’s exact cause of death.
A warrant said the infant suffered abusive head trauma and a broken clavicle.
WBTV reported the baby girl was first taken to Carolinas Medical Center Northeast for treatment and then transferred to CMC-Main.
Daniels was arrested Monday at the Knights Inn on Nations Ford Road in Charlotte, WBTV reported. He is being held without bond in the Cabarrus County jail.
It’s not known if he has an attorney.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- TEEN BOY CHARGED AFTER STABBING MAN IN HEAD DURING ATTACK, KNIGHTDALE POLICE SAY
- VIDEO: MAN FOUND GUILTY OF MURDERING 2 DEPUTIES LAUGHS, CHEERS DURING VERDICT
- 3 FACE PROSTITUTION CHARGES AFTER RAID AT HOKE COUNTY SPA, DEPUTIES SAY
- DURHAM MOTORCYCLIST HIT BY VAN, KILLED ON NC-55 NEAR I-40
- FORT BRAGG SOLDIER WENT AWOL WEEKS BEFORE FAMILY VANISHED, OFFICIALS SAY